Feb 9, 2014

Knife; handed down

I have always liked sheath knives. Well made sheath knives, with handles made of stacked leather, stag, or wood. I attribute this interest to the knives my father carried while raising me and teaching me the ways of the woods (hunting, fishing & camping). One of the knives he carried was quite large and was known by us kids as "the watermelon knife" because it was routinely used, on camping trips, to slice up juicy melon for the small army of children, that are my siblings; all nine of us.  The knife bore no markings from any manufacturers.   This is because it is truly a one-off piece, made by one of the workers at Savage Arms in Utica, NY during World War II.  During this time, workers made these knives from scrap materials in the plant and sent them to friends and relatives fighting the war overseas.  The blade is made from a scrap power hack-saw blade material.  The stacked bands in the handle are the same that were used in the .50 caliber machine gun handles that Savage Arms made at that time.  My father's uncle, Bill, worked for many years at Savage Arms and gave this knife to my father, some forty years ago.  Last weekend, my father handed it down to me.  I'm honored to have it.

No comments: