Jan 16, 2013

NRA

I typically leave politics out of my blog.  Those who know me well, know that I lean to the left.  However, as a hunter, as a marksman, and most importantly, as an American, I cannot support what a few people with power are proposing.  I have been feeling helpless in this whole mess.  I, like the majority of Americans, do not want a hypocrite behind a desk, telling me what I can and can’t own, to protect myself from them, while they sit protected by armed guards.  And that’s what the 2nd amendment is really about people.  Protection from tyranny; be it the redcoats or today’s equivalent.   So today I joined the National Rifle Association (NRA).

I cannot help but feel that some politicians are exploiting the death of children, by the hands of a madman, for the purpose of pushing their own political agenda.  With Cuomo passing gun laws in NY state, as fast as he did (what’s worse; the manner in which he did it) I feel that joining the NRA is one way that I can help protect our 2nd amendment; a freedom we were guaranteed in 1789.  I don’t understand why government thinks that exercising more stringent gun control will reduce gun violence.   As it is now, our biggest cities have the strictest gun control AND the most gun-violence!  I’ve lived in the heart of Baltimore and NYC for many years.  I have witnessed, firsthand, shootings in these cities.  What does this tell me?  It tells me that it’s the sick people who are killing other people; not the guns.   Here’s another tidbit for you; the criminals engaging in gun violence are always going to be able to get their hands on a gun.  You’re either naive or a fool if you think otherwise.   I want to be able to put my hands on a gun, if and when that time should come.