Dec 24, 2012

Snowy Christmas Adirondack trip

A snow covered diesel rests quietly in Old Forge, NY.

A friend and I drove up to my folks place and childhood home in Sherrill, NY this past Thursday evening, after work.  They live about an hour and a half from the Adirondack Mountains.  Thanks to my father, as a kid, I spent a lot of time in those mountains.  It was there that he taught me the woodsman skills I have today:  How to hunt & fish, use a compass, build a fire, which berries to eat, and which ones to avoid etc.  While visiting with my folks these past three days, I made time to introduce her to a close friend but also scoot up into the great white north.  We stopped often, snapping photos along the way.  My friend had never been to the Adirondacks, so I showed her some of the nifty areas, the areas I was familiar with.  We stopped in Old Forge and kicked around the old hardware store, checked out the Adirondack Scenic Railroad and then pushed further north into Inlet, NY.  We grabbed a pizza and had a beer at the Screamin' Eagle (which was was pleasantly surprised to see has increased their tap selection from the three or four I had known, to over forty!). Warm and toasty inside, we watched as snowmobilers ripped up and down the street outside.  I wished we could have stayed longer.  It was a great trip and the snowy weather made for a classic Adirondack Christmas experience.









No comments: