Feb 5, 2012

Tō-ji Temple - Kyoto Japan

Yesterday I took a train from Kobe to Kyoto (54 minutes taking the local JR train) to visit some of the ancient temples. I was able to see a bunch of the countryside while I traveled mostly north and read a dharma book on the way. At the Tō-ji Temple there were a few beautiful buildings and a large five-tier pagoda which is the tallest wooden structure in Japan. Standing inside this prominent pagoda was amazing… you should have seen the size of the wooden pillars running up through the center. You’re not allowed to take any photographs inside any of the structures so I can’t show you, but I’m very glad that I got to experience it. That goes for all of Japan really. I’m just so glad to be here. Inside one of the main halls stood twenty-one Buddhist statues, five of which are of Buddha and gilded. The other statues are kings. You can read more about this here. The statues are huge and very impressive! I enjoyed myself.



Above Left: Nice looking track bike. Above Right: It's Howdy Doody time!

Above Left: Kobe street corner at early morning. Above Right: Hankyu Rail Car.

Above Left: Kyoto Station. Above Right: Wanted! (most dishonorable!)

Above Left: Hot tea from a vending machine. Above Right: Tō-ji Temple.

Above Left: Taxis wait outside Kyoto Station. Above Right: A Taxi at Tō-ji Temple.

Above Left: Tō-ji Pagoda. Above Middle: McDonalds in Kyoto. Above Right: Stairs at Tō-ji.

Above Left & Right: Halls at Tō-ji Temple.

Above Left & Right: Halls at Tō-ji Temple.

1 comment:

recumbent conspiracy theorist said...

I like how the bike lock chain has a protective covering but it's protecting the pole while the bare chain hanges on the top tube.