Feb 5, 2012

Sushi-o tabemasu

Last night, when I arrived at the Mottomachi station from my trip to Kyoto, I did a little shopping and then grabbed a bite before heading back to the hotel. I had a hankering for sushi so I found a little alley and explored. There are so many places to find sushi in Kobe that I was having a difficult time deciding. While looking over a menu (read: looking at pictures of food) outside of one restaurant, a cook inside was waving me in. So I popped in and sat down. I know how to say “Tonight I’ll eat sushi” and so I let him know. But the problem is: that’s my limit. He then pulled a card full of kongi and asked me which type I would like. I was screwed! After a couple of minutes of me trying to explain what type I’d like, he brought me a plate with different types of fish on it! I pointed to the ones that I wanted (tuna, salmon, shrimp, and some other type of white fish). He then pointed to each of them saying: “one, one, one, one?” to which I replied: “No no; three, three, three, three Kudasai!” Good lord, it was delicious! I am not getting tired of eating sushi over here. It’s 100X better than Sushi back home. The rice is always perfect; not too soft. And the fish just tastes so much fresher!

Half way through my meal, a man walked in and sat down next to me. He ordered a bunch of sashimi. Good idea! I called the waiter over and asked for the same. So then came my fresh slabs of tuna, salmon and octopus. Oh, how I love eating here in Japan!

No comments: