Aug 4, 2010

Spamalot...

I've been receiving an incredible amount of spam on the blog lately. So much that I've had to start moderating the comments. The Spammers, whether they are real people or robots, have managed to pass the word verification system and leave their garbage on my blog. It's quite annoying. So now, if you'd like to leave a comment, I'll have to approve the comment before it shows up on my blog (Sorry). There shouldn't be much of a delay as I get push notifications on my phone and check my email compulsively. Nonetheless, I apologize for delaying your instant gratification experience that is The Interweb.

Spam (The "meat") does bring back some good memories. Growing up I was a Boy Scout I got my fill of Spam. "Spambled Eggs" for breakfast was a favorite of mine on backpacking and camping trips. Good memories aside; I can't say as though I've touched the stuff in the last 10 years. For your entertainment, I give you the above photo of myself, my father and my older brother taken around '86 or '87 while growing up in Pittsburgh. Can those shorts get any shorter? As much as people like to make fun of scouting, I wouldn't trade the experiences or knowledge I gained in the scouts for anything. To this day, "Eagle Scout" remains on my resume and has actually helped me get to where I am now.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

haha this picture brings back great memories of my own scouting days. Proud Gold Award recipient (closest Girl Scout equivalent to an Eagle Scout)!

Too bad about the spam, though, probably one of the only downsides of having a lot of traffic on your site...

Anonymous said...

That's awesome. Scouting, in general is pretty awesome. I grew up in a family of 6 girls and 3 boys. All of the girls were in Girlscouts and all of the boys earned their Eagle.

recumbent conspiracy theorist said...

I was a cub scout for a couple years. Had fun and learned some things too.
Jamboree is going on now I think at Ft. AP Hill. You should see the ham radio station they put up there.

GTS said...

Hey Mike ~ scouting played quite a significant role in my life. I would go so far as to say it actually gave me a life… It was in 1971 that I attained the coveted rank Eagle Scout while a member of Troop 44 in Patchogue, New York… it seems like a life time ago nevertheless, to this day I am who I am in part because of the experiences scouting afforded me ~ GTS