Jul 15, 2013

Callinectes sapidus

Better known as the Chesapeake Blue Crab.  Man, I love em'.  I've never blogged about my addiction to crabs until today.  I have no idea how I lived in downtown Baltimore for 6 years and never got into them.  (Unless you count the one time, I choked on a piece of shell and road my bike to the ER for throat x-rays.  I thought I was going to die.  True story.  I'll save it for another time.  Though perhaps that's why I never got into them.)  I think we've eaten crabs 6 times so far this summer.  One weekend we even ate them on a Saturday, only to turn around and eat them again on a Sunday.  And they're not cheap!  We pay about $60/dozen large.  We're lucky to live only 10 minutes away from a great crab house too; the Blue Point Crab House.  We've had some really great crabs from this place.  No duds, no wimpy ones.  Always perfectly seasoned with Old Bay. 

I can't think of anything better on nice summer day, than sitting at the table in the yard, munching down crabs and sucking down some ice cold Natty Boh.  Such a tasty combo.  We put a way a dozen large crabs yesterday, though we ate inside due to the insane heat we're experiencing lately.  We nearly went back and bought another dozen!  We prefer getting them already steamed, and munching down at home, but we do eat them when we're out and about.  Here's our experience in the Baltimore area:
  • Blue Point Crab House - Westminster (take out only)              ★★★★★
  • Ocean Pride - Cockeysville, MD (we ate in)                            ★★★
  • Gary & Dell's - Westminster, MD (we ate in)                           ★★★★
  • Parks Landing -Westminster, MD (we ate in)                           ★★★ 


No comments: