Nov 13, 2012

New rifle

Above: Bunners (new pet) chinning the "boom stick".
A few weeks ago, I picked up a new rifle.  It's a Marlin XT-17 which is a magazine fed, bolt action, heavy barrel, .17 caliber rifle.  I've put about 300 rounds through it between shooting at the range and the four squirrel hunting trips I've taken it on.  Love it.  I have it zeroed for 50 yards and consistently hold groups the size of a dime.  At 100 yards it's still a flat shooter.  I mounted a Leopold VX-2 3-9X40mm scope on it, which gathers a lot of light and is incredibly handy to use for zooming in on targets.  I'm extremely pleased with the form and functionality of the gun, however am a bit disappointed with the quality of the front breech portion of the bolt assembly.  (See the machining flaw in this picture).  Though I spoke with Marlin on the phone about it, they claim it is normal for them (sad to hear).  Nevertheless, functionality is fine and safe, though I will be replacing that part very soon.




No comments: