May 27, 2011

West Rim Trail 30-miler

It's been a long week. A long week full of travel misfortunes. Three out of my four flights were severely delayed.  Also, on three out of my four flights, I was seated in the very last seat next to the bathroom (hooray!). What are the odds? Nevertheless I was unlocking the door to my apartment at 2:00am this morning, and crashing hard. After spending the week in South Carolina and Georgia, I cannot adequately express how nice it is to be back in the Big Apple. I missed the hustle & bustle while I was stuck in the south.

Though I'm glad to be back, I won't be home during this long weekend either. A coworker invited me on a 3-day trek he and his college buddies are embarking upon this weekend. I'm pretty excited about it and look forward to putting in some miles. We'll be hiking the West Rim Trail in Pennsylvania. Headed north to south we will cover 30 miles known as the Pennsylvania Grand Canyon. My gear is packed, camera battery charged and food has been picked out. I'll be eating dehydrated meals again on this trip, using my home-made alcohol stove. Minimal is the word on this trip: I'm bringing next to nothing with me this time. Ultra light all the way. I hope it doesn't rain the entire weekend!

3 comments:

GTS said...

Very cool! I'm envious... have a great trip!

Heberfarnsworth said...

Sounds like a great plan. I did that hike with some friends just after Easter. We had rain the entire time but it made for beautiful views of waterfalls and creeks. You can read about it on my blog. http://heberhiking.blogspot.com/2011/05/west-rim-trail-hike.html

There is a ton of mountain laurel along that trail. It might be just starting to bloom.

Have a great time!

Anonymous said...

GTS & Heber:

It was a great trip! We didn't get to finish the whole trail from north to south because we got lost on the first day and ended up hiking about 4 extra miles. In the end, we hiked 9 miles each day. I'll post up a report with pictures as soon as I get a minute!

Mike