May 13, 2010

25 miles of road

My neighbor Chris and I have been trying to connect for a road ride during the past couple of weeks. Today it finally happened. We kept a pretty good pace for 25 miles of skinny-tired, drop bar riding. With my road racing days long gone (and with it my fitness) I was nervous that I would be "that guy". You know; a Fred.

Turns out, I'm in better shape than I thought! I guess this past winter and recent weekends full of mountainbiking & rock climbing has left me with a pretty firm grip on my dignity! (Thank you power putty!) Don't get me wrong. I'm far from being in tip top shape and my dogs were definitely barking out there, but I wasn't sucking wind and struggling to keep up. (Can I get a "hallelujah"?)


We rode across the George Washington Bridge and then headed north for a few miles. The traffic was definitely reduced in this area but there was still a steady stream of cars coming and going. It reminded me of those great rides I used to take after work in Baltimore.

Coming home made me a little nostalgic for those lost Baltimore evening rides. Coming back from a ride in the county and seeing the city scape rising up in front of you is a wonderful feeling.

1 comment:

E said...

Wow sounds like you have been on quite a few adventures!

http://basicar.blogspot.com/