Jul 8, 2009

Home Made Marmalade

Lately, I've been cooking a lot. Not so much in the way of meals, but more in the way of sauces. I must say my BYFO [Burn Your Face Off] wing sauce is worthy of bragging rights. Last week I caught Ina Garten making marmalade on the boob tube and moved making marmalade to the top of my list. So, last night I chopped up four large oranges, two lemons and boiled them down with a ton of sugar. After letting them sit over night, I simmered them for another two hours this morning, and then brought them up to 220 degrees to finish them off. I loaded the jam into sterilized mason jars and was good to go. They seem to have gelled up nicely and I'll be enjoying my labor on a fresh baguette with coffee, tomorrow morning before I head out for more mountain biking in Peekskill.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mike'
Great looking preserves! Are the jars vaccuum sealed? I have this recipe in my Ina Garten cookbook and have it marked for making probably this Fall. I also enjoyed your bike ride narrative and pictures in the Peekskills.

Love, Mom