Jan 31, 2014

Mahanoy City, Pennsylvania

I spent nearly the whole day, driving from Westminster, MD to my hometown of Sherrill, NY.  Unfortunately, this trip was not planned.  My good friend, Hoopsie's father passed away and my journey's purpose was to attend the wake.  Rest in peace Mr. Hoopes.  Nevertheless, I had the whole day to make the 6.5 hour drive so I took my time and pointed the Tacoma down some interesting little roads in southern Pennsylvania.  I discovered an eerie old town (city) called Mahanoy City.  It is an old coal mining town about 50 miles northwest of Reading.  It was settled in 1863 and prosperred as a coal town.  (More from wikipedia here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahanoy_City,_Pennsylvania )  The town, today, looks quite dingy and depressed.  Row houses with awnings tightly line the streets.  I picked a diner called "That Place" on Centre Street for lunch.  Afterwards, I explored briefly and stopped to take some photos of an old trestle bridge.  I thought it was neat to see the old coal reference "The Road of Anthracite" painted on the bridge as well as "Pulling for Mahanoy City BPA".  I did some online research and could not find any meaning behind the "BPA"... anybody out there know?

No comments: